Friday, February 8, 2013

REVIEW: Surviving Antartica Reality TV 2083

Book: Surviving Antartica: Reality TV 2083
Published: November 7th 2006 by HarperTeen
Pages: 448
Source: Library
The wind and snow blow so hard, you can't see your hand in front of your face. Your heating fuel is nearly gone, and so is your food. How do you survive?

Five fourteen-year-olds face this desperate situation on a deadly journey in Antarctica. It is 2083. They are contes-tants on a reality TV show, Antarctic Survivor, which is set up to re-create Robert F. Scott's 1912 doomed attempt to be the first to reach the South Pole.

But in 2083 reality TV is not just an act. Contestants literally relive - or die during - the simulations of events. Robert Scott and his team were experienced explorers and scientists, but their attempt to reach the Pole proved fatal. What chance does the Antarctic Survivor team have?

This action-packed, riveting adventure - full of fascinating direct quotes from Scott's journals and other accounts of the expedition - is both a heart-wrenching drama from the past and a disquieting glimpse into the future.

Sarah's Review:

 This book was kind of an ehhhh. This book was entertaining because it provided me with an idea of what the future would/might look like in 2083. What I like a lot is how they actually give a specific year. Most dystopian books are like: Oh, its happening somewhere in the future. But I am just like: BUT WHEN. 

This book was really interesting, but I wish there was more action. And it lasted longer. The people were in Antarctica for quite a while, but they didn't even make it to the first safe zone. /:

 Now for the characters. This book is one of those books where you unintentionally choose favorite characters. And I love that about this book. The entire event is a TV show and so it makes sense. Its kind of like watching a TV yourself, except you are reading. Here is a list of what I felt about the each character:

Billy: Oh my gosh, I just hated him. He is so selfish and annoying and bratty and immature and stupid and all that other stuff. He is the character that everyone tends to hate. BUT later on in the story, your thoughts change about him. I changed from hate to dislike. He will never be my favorite character.

Grace: I'm being 100% honest here. She was my favorite character. Definitely. I think its because we have so much in common. I could make another list right here but I think the main reason why I wanted her to win so badly was because we both love dogs. :3

Polly: I understand her. She is a book worm, like I am sometimes. But in this competition, I found her useless. She can't really do anything except tell some people what happened in the original exploration.

Robert: He's annoying. But I understand why he's so bossy.

Andrew: The "hero" of this book. I don't really get why he has his special powers, and he seems too random to be in the book. I guess they just had to include him.

There isn't much to say about this book after that. Ohhh! Except for the ending. How could I have missed that? The ending was too... random. Its too sudden. All of a sudden people change their minds about TV. All of a sudden people want to riot. All of the sudden the president is actually good. All of a sudden two of the characters want to go back to Antarctica. All of a sudden people turn good and its not such a messed up world. It all just happened to fast.

  Final Rank:

1     2     3   3.5   4     5  
It's a good book. Just not good enough to be called great.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment