Friday, November 30, 2012

REVIEW: Of Poseidon


Photobucket
Book: Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Release Date: Published May 22nd 2012 by Feiwel & Friends
Pages: 336 pages
Source: The power of my awesome library


Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . . 

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.





The Romance:
1     2  2.5   3     4     5

This scale is different than most. 1 means that there is no romance at all. 5 means this book was a very, very romantic based book. A 3 will be the most common, as YA books surround another plot while dealing with romance too. Below are my thoughts on the romance.

There wasn't that much romance, and I appreciated that. But it would be wrong to say that there isn't any. I guess there is some romance and drama, but its not a romance novel.

The Action/ The Adventure:
1     2     3     4     5
The action scale is pretty obvious and it is just like the romance scale. 1 means there was no action. 5 means there was a lot of action. Whether or not the action was good, I'll tell you below.

The action was pretty good. There wasn't that much to be honest and the adventure wasn't as adventurous as it could have been. It was an average action/adventure book.

The Speed:
1     2     3  3.5   4     5
The speed scale tells how fast the story goes. For example, if the introduction is boring and the whole book is going at snail pace, it'll probably be a ranking of 1.

The speed was surprisingly pretty fast. The beginning was a bit slow but later on in the book I found myself being tempted to read more and more. Its a pretty good book if your patient enough to wait a bit but I think its worth the wait.

 The Plot/ The Perspective/ The Storytelling:
1     2     3     4     5
This isn't based on how much action shows up as the book progresses. It is based on the quality of the plot. Sometimes the plot is just unentertaining while others are the on-the-end-of-your-seat suspenseful. This is probably the scale that you should pay the most attention to.
T
he perspective is in 2 points of views: Emma and Galen. Emma is in first person while Galen is in third and I feel like that really wasn't necessary. That part bothered me quite a bit, but its not enough to make me write a RANT about it. The plot however was actually a pretty good one though I feel like the storytelling of it could have been better. The idea of mermaids and the origin of gifts was a fantastic idea to write a book about but to be honest, the author could have wrote it better. And if any new author writes the same story, no matter how good the storytelling is, it would be considered clishe. I'm a bit disappointed in the perspective and storytelling but the main idea of the story was pretty good.

The End:
1     2     3     4     5
This is going to be a limited scale as I don't want to spoil the ending. I promise I won't reveal any secrets, but if you want it to be a complete surprise,  STOP READING.

The end was the most hateful ending ever. It is the one type of ending that I love and yet hate at the same time. Its a cliffhanger and a surprise. I love surprises and those moments when the entire story pieces together and you are in that moment of awe for around five minutes or so. I actually did find myself surprised, though I feel like that was my fault because I probably would have known the cliffhanger if I wasn't so ignorant while I was reading the book. The book did make me bored, but the ending is in one of my Top 5 Best/Worst Cliffhanger Endings.

The Summary:

Pros ---
-The plot was actually a really good idea.
-The ending is one of the best and worst I have ever read.
-The speed wasn't as slow as I expected it to be.

Cons ---
-The storytelling was quite disappointing.
-The first and third person transaction bugged me.
-It could have been better.


Final Rank: 

1     2     3     4     5

P.S
Sorry for being vague in this book review. I had a time limit, so I did a kind of short review. But to be honest, I can't really review this book in a way. I am pretty speechless on this book, but there are 5 words I have to say about this book: It could have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment