Monday, December 3, 2012

REVIEW: Glitch


Photobucket

Book: Glitch by Heather Anastasiu
Release Date: Published August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press
Pages: 308
Source: Library
Goodreads page: Click here

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.

The Romance:
1     2     3     4     5

This scale is different than most. 1 means that there is no romance at all. 5 means this book was a very, very romantic based book. A 3 will be the most common, as YA books surround another plot while dealing with romance too. Below are my thoughts on the romance.

I guess its supposed to be entertaining and it is an important part of the plot, but the romance didn't really help me out here. It just made me annoyed. I'm not a fan of romance, so I might be a bit biased about this but this book has around 1/4 of the pages about romance and love and all the other annoying stuff. Don't get me wrong, the love was very important to the story, but I think its correct for me to say: its annoying and obvious. You know, it just doesn't help that there is a love triangle involved too...

The Action/ The Adventure:
1     2    2.9 3     4     5
The action scale is pretty obvious and it is just like the romance scale. 1 means there was no action. 5 means there was a lot of action. Whether or not the action was good, I'll tell you below.

The action and adventure was okay-ish. And I have to say the okay because its not good, its not bad. I have to say the ish because its slightly below the okay. Its just not that entertaining. Reading this book wasn't that bad of an experience, and I did manage the accomplishment of actually reading the entire story, but it is just-plain-obvious.

The Speed:
1     2     3     4     5
The speed scale tells how fast the story goes. For example, if the introduction is boring and the whole book is going at snail pace, it'll probably be a ranking of 1.

Its so darn AVERAGE. I finally found the word for this story. Its average. The speed is average, the action/adventure is average, and the romance is average-ish. Its not bad, but its not good enough to be called good. The speed is, guess what, average. Its not slow enough to make me rage quit the book, but its not fast enough to make me reading and make me wonder what will happen next. As I was reading this, I kept looking up occasionally, just because it came to a particularly boring part.

 The Plot/ The Perspective/ The Storytelling:
1     2     3     4     5
This isn't based on how much action shows up as the book progresses. It is based on the quality of the plot. Sometimes the plot is just unentertaining while others are the on-the-end-of-your-seat suspenseful. This is probably the scale that you should pay the most attention to.

The plot is actually pretty good. If not clishe. Its average as well. This is the basic dystopian novel, and reminds me of Match, Divergent, and etc. Its taking bits and pieces from each story and blending them all into this. But the thing is that instead of making it spectacular, its just made it a blur of a story. Plain. Dull. Clishe. This is probably a really good story if you haven't read those books that I listed before. Once you start reading dystopian, they all start to blend together. The perspective is forgetful. Its not good, not bad, but I have to say its more towards the good. The storytelling is fine. Just fine.

The End:
1     2     3     4     5
This is going to be a limited scale as I don't want to spoil the ending. I promise I won't reveal any secrets, but if you want it to be a complete surprise,  STOP READING.

ITS MY WORST ENEMY. A CLIFF-HANGER. Now I get a cliffhanger, but in my head, it doesn't really make sense to leave off at a really huge cliff-hanger when the next book comes out in a YEAR. Its wraps things up pretty well, and despite it being annoying along with many other things in the book, I have to say its not bad.
The Summary:

Pros ---
-Speed is pretty good
-Ending wraps things up
-Plot is a lot like other dystopian books, can be good or bad depending if you read dystopian books before

Cons ---
- Once you read other dystopian books, they all tend to blur together, not really making any new ideas
- Its a cliffhanger!!! X(
- Too much romance. I usually ignore the romance, but this bothers me. :/


Final Rank: 
1     2     3     4     5

Photobucket




No comments:

Post a Comment